Family portraits are one thing that you would like to hang at the top of your wall for everyone to see. It is in itself a memory that you can share to generations to come. Family portraits somehow show a good family structure that you can be proud of.
But many photographers are not a fan of family portraits even if they have the best devices such as the best lenses for sony a6000. It is tough to handle a group of people considering that it takes time for them to pose and to make these images look great.
This article is for novice photographers who want to take the best family portraits to include in their profile. Read on for tips you could use in your attempt to come up with a great family portrait that may attract more potential customers for you.
How to Create Formal Family Portraits that Sell
Here are three reasons you are going to love family portraits
1. It is an opportunity to create quality images that marks high value in production.
2. It is your chance to show your skills in front of clients, family, and friends.
3. Derived from #2. It is your chance to actually gain more clients based on the quality of your work and professionalism during the event.
4. Group portraits are the most shared images on social media. So it is your chance for exposure. So don’t forget to leave a trademark on your photos.
Here are some tips when taking a family or a group photo
1. Decide on an ambient exposure on your camera.
- For a more natural shot, your ambient exposure should be brighter.
- For a more dramatic shot, your ambient exposure should be darker.
2. Choose a light direction that compliments the existing light within your scene. So of your existing light is coming from a window at the left side to the right side, choose to complement and add to that light by placing the flash on the left side and then lighting towards the right side of the group where they are most dark. This keeps the existing shadow and creates dimension in the faces.
3. Choose a modifier for your lights. Use incredible light modifiers used by the pros. The Profoto OCF beauty dish is a perfect choice. But of course, you can go for any brand that will complement your taste. Choose one that will create beautiful light. Choose a portable one considering that your job as a photographer will always bring you on the go.
4. For a larger group, divide the group and capture each group while having your assistant light each group. Then use photoshop to merge all three images and editing the light where it is needed. While in photoshop, you can take the opportunity to hide unwanted areas in the photo.